KitchenTouch is a home automation GUI for touch capable devices. With modules such as CookBook it is specifically targeted for use in the kitchen, but could be customized to display only required screens. KitchenTouch is being developed in C# (WPF).
Here's a bit of a history for this project.
KitchenTouch originally started as part of an anniversary gift for my wife, when I decided to install a tiny Win7 Home Premium HTPC for her entertainment in the kitchen.
I started thinking of how to customize that system and make it easier for her to use. Taking into account the kitchen environment and possible usage patterns, I realized that keyboard and mouse were impractical controls while cooking. Therefore I decided to
look into touch options. I acquired a touch-screen monitor for that system and started looking into available user interfaces. Alas, all products I could find were either too sophisticated (complex and difficult to use) or didn't provide the features I was
looking for. So, naturally I decided to write my own. :)
I had limited time on my hands (around 2 weeks), but I really wanted to learn a new programming language - C#. I set off to quickly learn C# while doing something useful. Thus, KitchenTouch was born! I really didn't have the time to plan the project through
properly, but I had a general idea of what I want to achieve. Some features were written and re-written several times, layout was constantly changing as I was testing the program's usability. And I expect it to change in the future as I go ahead with new features.
- Create a simple, touch-friendly user interface where most of the tasks could be completed in 2-3 clicks/touches.
- Primary input should come from the touch, so an easy-to-use software keyboard should be implemented.
- Allow the GUI to be skinned.
- Provide customization of features (modules) and options within these features (avoid hard-coded links, etc.).
Modules supported / planned
- Easy to see and always available time/date display;
- Picture frame (slideshow);
- Cameras pane for CCTV and remote Webcams (convenient to keep an eye on the kids and check traffic in the morning);
- Internet browser for quick searches (Google) and up-to-date news (Facebook, Twitter, CNN, etc);
- Music player for local and streaming sources;
- Cookbook for quick recipes lookup (possibly with a timer and pictures);
- Lighting status and control (I primarily target X10 and INSTEON systems);
- Security system status and control;
The screenshots are available on PicasaWeb...
v 0.1: http://picasaweb.google.com/ruslan.ulanov/KitchenTouchV1#
v 1.0 Alpha:
- Windows XP SP2+, Vista, Win7
- .Net 3.5 runtime
- Display with 800x600 or higher resolution (1024x768 recommended)
- same as above, plus
- MS VisualStudio 2008 with C# language support
This project is a free software developed under GNU Lesser General Public License (aka GNU LGPL).
Please see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html for details or click License menu above.
Icons by Axialis Team (http://axialis.com)